Huobi Token ($HT) Analysis and Valuation
Exchange tokens are currently the most interesting sector in crypto because they sit at the intersection of where there is demand today and where there will be opportunities tomorrow. We have previously expressed a thesis that exchange tokens are the best way to get exposure to open finance and that there is tremendous growth potential. There are significant barriers to scaling which give incumbents a clear competitive advantage. This has been confirmed by the horizontal integration of products by the biggest exchanges. We previously saw pure-play, specialty exchanges focused on a specific subset of derivatives (BitMEX, Deribit, CME) but have now seen futures integrated into the existing exchanges with great success (Huobi, OKEx, and Binance have all usurped BitMEX’s dominance in futures).
Exchanges are also able to be nimble with token economics and introduce new use cases to their tokens over time. We’ve seen this with virtually all exchange operators, whereby they add new products and integrations to offer token holders advantages over other users. Some examples include Binance’s Launchpad offering and Huobi’s Lock & Mining program.
We track the exchange token market closely (as noted in our Binance reports here and here; we also still hold a large long BNB position), and through our ongoing analysis of the space we noticed that there is a divergence between the fundamentals of Huobi and the current valuation of Huobi Token ($HT). After digging deeper, we believe that Huobi is misunderstood by the market and that $HT is undervalued at current prices, primarily because of information asymmetries that exist between the East and the West.
We are long $HT for a number of reasons, and because there are several near-term, compelling catalysts:
- Huobi is the best way to get broad exposure to increased blockchain and crypto excitement in China, which is now a national priority. Huobi OTC is the most liquid among all the CNY on/off ramp exchanges and is the most recognized brand for new Chinese users to get exposure to Bitcoin and other major cryptocurrencies.
- Contrary to a widely held Western opinion, Huobi’s volumes today are in fact very real, and they custody more BTC than every other exchange except Coinbase. Furthermore, Huobi is ranked second globally in spot volume (behind Binance), second in derivatives volume (behind Binance Futures), and second in derivatives open interest (behind BitMEX).
- Huobi appears to be making a commitment toward more transparency, which could help close the information asymmetry between East and West.
- Huobi has expanded their product offerings significantly in the past two years, most notably into derivatives trading (for details see the section below). We expect Huobi to continue innovating and adding other types of financial products, including options, staking, etc.
- Huobi recently open sourced the code for Huobi Chain, an initiative backed by the world-class team at Nervos and will be the first “compliant” exchange-chain in the world.
- $HT currently has the highest buyback ratio of any exchange token on the market at 17.8%. In fact, $HT’s buyback ratio is 4.4x higher than the exchange token industry average. We believe that it is mispriced and the buyback ratio should trade closer in-line with Huobi’s peers. For example, based on LTM burn metrics, that would imply a $HT marketcap of $4.3B, representing as much as 345% upside from today’s price.
In this report we explore the current operations of Huobi, detail the history of its products and operations, its tight-knit relationship with the government, and its trading volume (with a specific focus on its peer-to-peer OTC trading and expiry and perpetual contracts). We also explore Huobi’s recent effort to become a financial infrastructure provider in China by building Huobi Chain, which uses Nervos Muta SDK as its technology provider. With the fundamental support of steady growing trading volumes, attractive token economics, relative mispricing by the market, and a perceived blessing by the Chinese government, we believe that $HT is one of the best risk-adjusted investment opportunities in the cryptocurrency space.
Download the report (PDF) now to read our analysis of Huobi and $HT.
Disclosure: Unless otherwise indicated, the views expressed in this post are solely those of the author(s) in their individual capacity and are not the views of Multicoin Capital Management, LLC or its affiliates (together with its affiliates, “Multicoin”). Certain information contained herein may have been obtained from third-party sources, including from portfolio companies of funds managed by Multicoin. Multicoin believes that the information provided is reliable but has not independently verified the non-material information and makes no representations about the enduring accuracy of the information or its appropriateness for a given situation. This post may contain links to third-party websites (“External Websites”). The existence of any such link does not constitute an endorsement of such websites, the content of the websites, or the operators of the websites. These links are provided solely as a convenience to you and not as an endorsement by us of the content on such External Websites. The content of such External Websites is developed and provided by others and Multicoin takes no responsibility for any content therein. Charts and graphs provided within are for informational purposes solely and should not be relied upon when making any investment decision. Any projections, estimates, forecasts, targets, prospects, and/or opinions expressed in this blog are subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by others.
The content is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as the basis for an investment decision, and is not, and should not be assumed to be, complete. The contents herein are not to be construed as legal, business, or tax advice. You should consult your own advisors for those matters. References to any securities or digital assets are for illustrative purposes only, and do not constitute an investment recommendation or offer to provide investment advisory services. Any investments or portfolio companies mentioned, referred to, or described are not representative of all investments in vehicles managed by Multicoin, and there can be no assurance that the investments will be profitable or that other investments made in the future will have similar characteristics or results. A list of investments made by funds managed by Multicoin is available here: https://multicoin.capital/portfolio/. Excluded from this list are investments that have not yet been announced (1) for strategic reasons (e.g., undisclosed positions in publicly traded digital assets) or (2) due to coordination with the development team or issuer on the timing and nature of public disclosure. * This blog does not constitute investment advice or an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to purchase any limited partner interests in any investment vehicle managed by Multicoin. An offer or solicitation of an investment in any Multicoin investment vehicle will only be made pursuant to an offering memorandum, limited partnership agreement and subscription documents, and only the information in such documents should be relied upon when making a decision to invest.*
Past performance does not guarantee future results. There can be no guarantee that any Multicoin investment vehicle’s investment objectives will be achieved, and the investment results may vary substantially from year to year or even from month to month. As a result, an investor could lose all or a substantial amount of its investment. Investments or products referenced in this blog may not be suitable for you or any other party.